New Product Development
Below is the list which is main steps for electronics Hardware.
- Specification of Product.
- Schematic Circuit Diagram.
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
- Final Bill of materials (BOM)
- PCB Prototypes
- Test, Debugging & Final Report
Mechanical Development for Electronics Hardware Product which is called enclosure and below is the list which is needed for mechanical development for the new enclosure.
- Create 3D model
- Make first prototype by 3D printer
- Evaluate the enclosure prototypes
- Transition to injection molding.
Now we are taking a simple example for the complete design process as per the above points.
Suppose that we have a requirement for a simple solar charger as we know that solar panel voltage can be 5V to 30 V with 1Amp current but we need fix 12V for battery output voltage now we will develop the product as per this requirement.
- Specification – Here we have the specification of our product.
Input voltage – 8V to 36V/ 1Amp to 5Amp
Output Voltage – 12V/1Amp to 5Amp, the Output voltage is adjustable which is range is 1.25V to 32V.
As per the above specification first, we will select the IC which is suitable for this specification and can be available in the market easy at a cheap price. Here we are taking IC of XL4015, now we will take datasheet from this link (http://www.xlsemi.com/datasheet/XL4015%20datasheet.pdf)
- Schematic Circuit Diagram – Now we will create the circuit of this product as per this specification which can meet the product. Below is circuit can see there is first input power supply wch can connect a solar panel or any other DC power supply source which can give the specific input power which we need as per our product requirement, There is one electrolyte capacitor 100U/50V which is always use for filter for DC voltage and store the voltage with connected with 100nf capacitor that is direct connect with input pin no. 5 of (XL4051), Pin no. 2 is Feedback Pin which are connected with variable resistance , we can adjust the output voltage by variable resistance. Pin no. of 3 is connected with inductor which is direct connecting with output voltage. Pin no. 1 is GND which are common for input and output.
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB) – Now we will make the PCB design as per circuit diagram, PCB design is the main part of electronic product development, Below is the PCB layout for XL4051IC, PCB layout is the depend on the placement of components, always keep the components as per flow of the circuit if our placement is good as per circuit diagram then PCB layout will be good so always when the place the components then keep the components as per circuit and make the trace as per circuit flow its depend on the voltage, current and signal. This is single sided PCB which have the following layer.
- Top Layer – As per image for top layer of the PCB, Always try to maximum trace should be route on the top layer, Input trace should be wide because this is the main trace there is maximum voltage and current are flowing so that it should be wide which are depend on the power, we follow the rule for trace width which is 1mm is equal to 1amp.
- Bottom Layer – As per below image of bottom layer, In this layer can see maximum route with GND trace, we use the GND as a bottom layer because it can absorb the heat of top layer we can say it work as a heat sink.
- Silk Screen Layer (SST) – This layer for reference of components location, which is main layer if don’t keep the text of component near the location then can mistake the assembly person on manufacturing time so that reference should be proper place as per location.
- Final Bill of materials (BOM) – When we completed the PCB design then create the final BOM from circuit and provide the purchase team for procurement components.
1 2 C1,C4 100U
2 4 C2,C3,C5,C6 100N
3 1 D1 MBRD1045G
4 1 L1 10UH
5 2 R2, R1 3.3K
6 1 R3 10K
7 1 U1 XL4015
8 4 VOUT-,VOUT+,VIN-,VIN+ TP
- PCB Prototypes – When we have confirmed our PCB layout is good as per our requirement then send the GEBER file for prototype. Below image is the PCB prototype which is created by above steps.
- Test, Debugging & Final Report – When we get the proto of PCB, then test the PCB as per our specifications when we have confirmed the all specifications meet with our product then submit the final report to quality for final testing.