In this tutorial, we are going learn about 5G.
- The next generation wireless broad-band technology which will make the world smarter. From multimedia massaging to video streamlining, from connected vehicles to autonomous driving, from Nano lot to implantable wearable- every application is expected to move to the next level.
- 5G is hoping to a new level where innumerable devices can be connected to each other using D2D standard and where security breach is extremely difficult. This D2D technology would be beneficial even when the network is out of range.
- A wide array sensors network can be used for home security. Nokia expects 5G to enable streaming of an 8k video in 3D. Expect suggest that 5G will provide ultra-fast, ultra-reliable and ultra high-capacity transmission at low latency, making communication and streaming faster.
The current scenario
- Globally, work has started on 5G. The US is one of the first countries to usher in 5G by opening up the high-band spectrum for the technology. According to reports, the Federation Communication (FCC) in the US has already started work in the area.
- Samsung Electronics America along with Cisco partnered with American telecom major Verizon to announce 5G trials in eleven cities of the US back in February this year. The multi-vendor end-to-end 5G trial was the first in the field that was launched in Mirchi-gan. Trials for at least five cities in the US are scheduled by the second quarter of FY18, while a total of eleven pilot’s trials will be carried out by the end of 2017.
- The trial network has a 5G virtualized packed core as part of the Cisco Ultra services Platform with Cisco Advanced Services and Samsung virtual RAN (vRAN) solutions. It has been paired with Samsungs 5G radio base station and 5G home routers, which will deliver broadband services to Verizon’s customs who have signed up for the trials.
- The three companies have followed Verizon’s 5G Technical Forum specifications – a series of network vendor interoperability tests to demonstrate seamless inter-working between core network, radio edge and user de-vices to exhibit next- generation net-work virtualization via multivendor support.
- “We’re very excited about the possibilities this opens up in terms of network architectures, particularly in view of 5G‘s aim to connect new industries and empower unique service scenarios,” said Woojune Kim, vice president.
- 5G Technology will enhance- Cial deployment of 5G mobile broadband by including networks. It also high Gbps data rates for applications lights that network like virtual reality while also operators can deploy supporting growth 5G net-works s per in data traffic. As far as ultra their market’s need.
- By selecting individual networks infrastructure components from a variety of vendors. In the UK, the University of surrey’s 5G innovation Center has conducted trial and claims to have achieved higher speeds of about one terabit per second (1Tbps)- which is over 60,000 times faster than the 4G speeds offered . With such an enormous speed, users would be able to download a file around a hundred times larger than a full movie in just three seconds. However, whether this speed can b achieved in real time is still questionable.con-cerned, 5G’s low latency will ensure faster communication with fewer glitches, thus increasing the efficiency and reducing the lag time in several indusand remote areas as well. The first trial, carried out on motorsport racing circuit in Shizuoka, achieved data speed of over 2.5Gbps in a vehicle moving at a speed of 150kmph. The trial was conducted by NTT Docomo in partnership with Samsung Electronics.
- The Japanese telecom giant also partnered with huawei for a trial using 23 connected devices, which achieved a cumulative 11.29 Gbps of data throughput with a latency level below 0.5 millisecond in October 2016. The government aims tries. Sectors such as healthcare, automotive (where smart cars and intelligent mobility concepts are highly dependent on 5G) and the Internet things (Iot) stand to benefit significantly from this technology.
- Mathews shares, “5G will be a key enabler for the IoT by providing a platform to connect a massive number of sensors and rendering devices. It will help services providers overcome present limitations of bandwidth, capacity and infrastructure.”Huawei too has tried up with university to explore 5G technology along with other interest areas.
- South Korea aims to release its 5G technology during the 2018 Olympics, using high data transmission frequency of up to 3.2Gbps.Japan too plans to deploy 5G mobile services field trials in Tokyo to see if 5G networks can be used in high speed trains as well.
- 5G in touted as the next big revolution in the wireless networks. There are huge expectations from this technology as it is expected to offer solutions and enhance not just plain vanilla communication but also connectivity.
- Thus, in addition to faster video streaming, 5G will fin three key application areas. According to draft recommendations of ITU-Radio communication broadband, massive machine type communications and ultra reliable, low latency communications.
- Earlier this year, Ericsson, in partnership with SK Telecom and BMW, Disclosed the 5G outdoor mobility trial in South Korea. This included the first multi vehicular 5G trials were conducted on a 5G test network that was installed in the car test track of German auto giant BMW in yeongjongdo city. The South Korean wireless communication major, SK Telecom, along with Ericsson, deployed networks slicing and 5G radio network infrastructure to completely cover trial tracks in the BMW driving center. The trials were completed successfully and showed that 5G can support V2X (vehicle connectivity) services that require low latency and consistency high bidirectional throughput.
- The trial also highlighted new key 5G capabilities with multi-transmission points with multi de, devices operating in the millimeter wave frequency band. In terms of machine type communications 5G will support massive low cost IoT connections and with wide coverage, providing connectivity in inaccessible areas as well. This is useful for industries that involve exchange of large amount of data. For instance, in fleet management a 5G network will ensure smooth connectivity by sending updates on engine performance, total miles driven and faults identified in the vehicle. Thus, it would obviate unnecessary coasts, optimize drive time as well as maximize fuel efficiency.
- Besides, expects suggest that 5G will soon become the underlying fabric of our ecosystem, artificial intelligence, avionics and agriculture are just a few other industries that will certainly enjoy what 5G has to offer.
Where India stands
- Currently, telecom players in India are exploring different upgraded version of 4G, such as 4.5G, 4.5G Pro and .9G, to improve coverage and add capacity to the existing networks . Moving on to 5G, while this technology is set to be launched in 2020, both the government and the private sector have already started work on it.
- According to a report, the government has created a research team to do the ground work o 5G in a bid to understand the technology better. It has already filed 100 patents so far. These patents will
- A market report suggests that 5G enabled digitization revenue in India in will b around $26 billion by 2026. Domestic operators can earn additional roles and serve as service enablers Enable India to generate indigenous intellectual property (IP) ,thus giving bargaining power to the country.
- Apart from this , telecom giant Ericsson has signed an MoU with IIT Delhi to jointly 5G test bed to work on the technology .
- Other telecom majors such as Airtel and BSNL have joined hands with Nokia to roll 5G network in India. The MoU signed between them also covers related infrastructure development.
- Similarly, Reliance Jio has partnered with samsung to bring 5G network to India as well as enhance its existing LTE networks. A market report suggests that 5G-enabled digitization revenues in India will be around $26 billion by 2026. Domestic operators can earn additional $13 billion revenue if they go beyond their traditional roles to serve as service enabled.
- However, all this can be achieved only if India successfully overcomes the many challenges in implementing 5G. Significant investment is require to upgrades the existing infrastructure to